Sunday, July 20, 2008

that fabulous deal from someone's Aunt Mildred who needs someone to occupy her four bedroom luxury apartment for free

Apparently this whole getting married and being a grown up thing is not as fun as everyone makes it out to be. 

I'm not stoked about it.

You see, we live in a small little valley near Aspen where a studio apartment rents for (at the very least) $1000. A three bedroom house rents for nearly $4000. Ridiculous right? That's what I thought too...

So here we are, my fiance and I, trying to figure out what we are going to do when the snow starts falling and we have to move out of the bunkhouse bughouse. We won't have to, of course, but living in a 100 square foot cabin surrounded by walls of snow that are taller than the roof, does not sound particularly appealing to either of us. 

I have scoured the classifieds... searching for that fabulous deal from someone's Aunt Mildred who needs someone to occupy her four bedroom luxury apartment for free because, she is off to a nursing home and just doesn't see the point of making any money off the place. I haven't found it yet. 

So, here we sit, pondering whether it is worth it to try to buy a townhouse, (that will be a stretch for the first six months), or just rough it for another year in some studio apartment where we can reach every light switch while sitting on our bed while basically throwing away our money to the rent god. The rent god being equivalent to just whipping out a thousand dollars in cash, putting it down the drain, and turning on the garbage disposal. Which would you choose? 

Of course, everyone I know has their own take on things and knows exactly what decisions we shouldn't make by ourselves. They claim to know that this market is a buyer's market! Or they claim to know that there is no possible way we will ever be able to afford that place in the next century. Or they think that we should just save our pennies and live in the bunkhouse for as long as humanly possible. I think that for the first time in my life, I should think for myself. And I just can't do it. 

When does the time come when you can finally make a decision without asking your parents what they think and how they did it? When does it finally happen when I can just go out into the real world and do something for me without anyone else's opinion popping into my head? When?!

5 comments:

  1. dude. i'm 35 and i still ask my parents AND your parents. idk. here's to aunt mildred.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sucks growing up. But when you want it all, right now , the marriage, the house , the pets, you have to buck it up and do what is best at that moment. It sounds like you parents raised you right , you will make the right decision.
    And remember , the first time the going gets rought , resist the urge to go crying back to mom and dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. first - wish i had an aunt mildred. second - love the tag "shit"
    third - growing up sucks but I believe in you and know that you will ind what is best for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still bounce stuff off my parents too; they give sound advice.

    If you are really interested in buying something, I guess I'd see what you can get preapproved for - just see what kind of money you could get for a downpayment etc.

    (They say it's a buyer's market but the banks seem skittish these days too.)

    Renting a small place could be just fine for a while. It takes time, and maybe these beginning years will be fun memories.

    (Now I will leave with my old lady advice and grey hair. Crazy ol' coot that I becoming.)

    Try not to stress too much. I know you land right where you are supposed to.

    ReplyDelete