Wednesday, July 23, 2008

we were willing to live on peanut butter and jelly's and ramen for the next umpteen years

Oh. My. God.

Literally. I am now fully convinced there is a higher power up there in those clouds somewhere. Whether God is man or woman, the jury is still out.

So remember when I was scouring classifieds for Aunt Mildred's apartment? Well, the next best thing fell into our laps.

Three weeks ago, we put in our application for employee housing in Aspen. We hounded down all of our personal information and turned it in to the housing nazis office. There was a two bedroom townhouse for sale for next to nothing free $192,000. I know, in the real world, this might seem ridiculous for a two bedroom, but in this bubble valley, it's a STEAL. It was part of a lottery. Yes, a real lottery, where they put all the applications into a hat and pull ONE out. And that person has the opportunity to buy the place. (Only in Aspen).

We proceeded to completely forget the entire idea of this place, even though we had fallen head over heels in love with it when we went to the open house. Then, we continued scouring the classifieds and diligently coming up with alternative plans. We found an awesome house approximately 52 miles from work and justified the commute and the very large would-be mortgage payment with the idea of living in a HOUSE. Not a studio bunkhouse bughouse. Crazy right? But we were willing to live on peanut butter and jelly's and ramen for the next umpteen years in order to be a slave to our mortgage live in a beautiful house. My parents told us we were crazy, along with every other person in the universe. Everyone had something to say about how stupid it was to buy a house so far away and for so much money. (I guess we might have been).

So, as I was looking for the steal of the day from Aunt Mildred, I started praying. I knew the lottery was on Monday at noon, and I was only thinking about the other house 52 miles away. There were 44 entries in the lottery, so really, we had pushed it out of our minds. So I prayed and prayed for God's will. I tried to just let go of the obsession about the giant mortgage beautiful house.

And then! At 12:15 pm on Monday! I got a phone call! From the housing office!

WE WERE NUMBER ONE! US! LITTLE OL' US! WE WON! WE WON!

So, we have now signed a contract on the perfect house at the perfect price for us to start our perfect life!

And we went out and bought $100 worth of real lottery tickets compliments of my grandpa's faith in my luck (or God if you believe it).

And God, if you read my blog, thank you! Thank you! Your will, is my will.

7 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is fabulous news.

    Now eat up on the ramen. They have lots of flavors.

    (My kids love squiggly noodles.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. why is anonymous always so rude? does anyone else have a rude anonymous that comments on their blog?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pierced niece, I am soo happy for you two! You will be my neighbor! Love you sweets!
    Love Vin

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not the first anonymous, and that one is rude. I just can't figure out how to sign up to get a name.
    Anyhow , congradulations , yippe and all that jazz!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not the first anonymous, and that one is rude. I just can't figure out how to sign up to get a name.
    Anyhow , congradulations , yippe and all that jazz!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that the labels for this post include "Praise God" and "Shit."

    I have often uttered both of those things in a single breath.

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete