Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Creative Writing Prompt #3

The Unseen Beauty of Five o’clock

Stop, go, stop, go
The cars, in their straight lines, begin the dance
Of five o’clock
Brake lights flash in a repetitious fashion
The rhythm makes me want to tap my fingers
Upon the plastic of my steering wheel
I attempt to create a song in my head
Lights singing a disjointed song
Of silly beats
Red, green, red, green
Yellow, yellow, yellow
Slow down?
Or speed up and run the light?
All cars deciphering meaning through colors
The woman next to me sings with her radio
Her lips moving
But I hear no sound
She’s smiling and laughing at herself
And I laugh also
Flipping fingers at fellow drivers
Out of anger and frustration
It’s like a silent movie
The cars all moving in between speeds
Cop ahead!
All brake lights turn red
As the actors realize they are in danger of
A speeding ticket (God forbid!)
Windows down, and windows up
Or in between
The cars weaving in and out
Of eachother
Like a braid on a little girls head
Blonde hair woven together
To create a complex length of rhythm
Red, green, yellow, red
Stop, go, stop, go
Slow, slow, slow
The dance of five o’clock boogies on.

2 comments: