Thursday, June 19, 2008

Creative Writing Prompt #4

One More Hit

His eyes glimmered in the sunlight the deep

Blue that only I seemed to notice. The kind that

Kept you watching, waiting for more. Expecting

To be sucked in. But always left out to dry. There I was

Standing with him, but feeling completely solitary, as if I was the

Only person left in the entire universe. My heart

Throbbed as if it would never feel right again. Like a headache that

Took over your entire face, made you

Blind to the world, to all reality. That’s what those eyes did to

Me. And yet all I ever wanted was more. Addicted.

Aching, yearning, craving, more of

Him. He took my hand and stared into my eyes.

I felt it

Again. Except this time, I could tell it was the last. His words

Wanted to seem genuine, like he might really be coming

Back. But I knew, in my core that he was not. Not

This time. I sensed the love in those deep sapphire

Eyes, but it was not the same. He was

Gone, the man I once knew, was gone. My addiction

Stolen by false highs and obsession, embezzled by the

Hunger for one more hit. And just like that, my heart

Dropped, as he flicked his Marlboro on the ground

Stamping the red ember into the dirt. The flame was

Out and so were my emotions. As he walked away, I blinked,

Expecting tears to carry me away, but they didn’t

Fall.

3 comments:

  1. i'm going to go back and read the rest, but i just read the headache line as "like a racehorse that takes over your entire face". do you think that the substitution of racehorse for headache means something significant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are seriously good. embezzled was the perfect word.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved it.

    Great word choice and mood.

    Thx for sharing.

    Deb
    sandiegomomma.com

    ReplyDelete