Friday, June 13, 2008

The Past is Only Ashes

Creative writing prompt #2... Write a poem that compares two usually very different situations using concrete images.


Don't you wish your blogging was as easy as copying and pasting your assignments from some silly college course?

Yes you do. Don't lie.



The Past Is Only Ashes

My heart pitter patters as I see you
Coming near
Your hand touches me at the small of my back
The breath sucked out of me
Like a back draft of a fire
The story I read in the paper said
A cigarette in a flower pot
On the deck of the first floor
Left still smoldering
The wind blustering through the railings
Igniting the miniature ember
Bursting into a ball of blistering flames
And with no one’s knowledge
Creeping into the building
Stalking the wood, ready for detonation
At any moment
Destruction, complete and utter devastation
To all things that went before
The women and children rushing
Scurrying along, fearing for life
Paying no attention to the direction they were headed
Only trying to get out
Absence filled with a new flame
A new beginning only starts from a bitter end
And suddenly nothing matters anymore
Burnt to the ground
Your love
Amidst the ashes of past flames
Flourishes a new blossom
With roots firmly planted in the fertilized ground
My heart pitter patters
As you get down on one knee
My mind jolts to the future that is upon us
Grown out of a fury of flames and ashes
Where nothing is left.

3 comments:

  1. Where have I been? What is wrong with me? Your prompts are not only a great idea (I use them when I teach - why the hell am I not doing them on my blog??), your writing is significant & moving.

    I am going to steal some stuff from you - but I'll let you know. And of course give you credit :)

    ReplyDelete