Monday, October 27, 2008

Devil Dogs and Football

What a weekend!

For some reason, I find it hard to just blog about my life. There is this pressure to be funny or clever or brilliant like the blogs I read.... Well, I have decided to let go of those pressures and made up expectations and just blog about my life. Today I feel immensely grateful.

My weekend was not far from ordinary, and yet it seemed to fill me with gratitude.

On Friday evening, I went to my little younger brother's last home football game. They lost, but it was incredible to just sit among the other community members and cheer for the longhorns anyway. I have been many other times this year, but this week I was part sad, and part incredibly happy. I went with my parents and my future husband. The seniors all had to go out in the middle of the field before the game started and their parents had to go out too. All of the boys had a rose for their moms. It was such a small gesture, and it meant so much.

It's weird to suddenly realize that you are grown up. But watching my baby brother play his last home football game EVER, made me realize it more than even wedding dress shopping.

I spent Saturday with Adam and his family. He helped his dad move the old wood stove into the basement so that the new pellet stove could be installed. It must be hard for a man to not be able to do the things he always did... Adam's dad had half of his foot amputated this summer, due to diabetes. He can no longer do the things he used to. He has to ask his boys to come over and help. That would be really hard. I realized that I'm so incredibly grateful to be marrying into a family that appreciates the bond of family as much as mine always has.

I spent Sunday watching football with Adam. We look forward to Sundays all week long. Football season is our excuse to sit on the couch all day long together.

Oh, and on top of all that gratitude, we bought our new puppy, Stella, a Halloween costume. This should just make you grateful you don't have a devil puppy.

2 comments:

  1. So? Love the devil dog. Laura is going to be Count Duckula for Halloween because she loves ducks and wanted to be some sort of Halloween-themed duck. And? I bought a dog's vampire bat costume for her favorite stuffed duck to wear. How effed up am I? Pressure to blog around me should be nonexistent about now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my dog ate my blog roll so i din't know you were posting again. bad aunt. bad, bad aunt.

    devil dog is a cutie though.

    STEEEELLLLAAAAA.

    ReplyDelete