Monday, October 13, 2008

You see, me and control are best friends

My best friend Erin is going on a trip to Thailand. She is leaving on Thursday and will be gone for SIX weeks! This is totally and absolutely exciting for her!

For me, it would be utterly terrifying. The thought of jumping on a plane headed for some peninsula in Asia with only hotel reservations for a few days FREAKS. ME. OUT. I am one of those people that has to have every single moment planned. Unless of course I'm sitting on a beach somewhere in Mexico. But even then, I have to have a plan for the sitting. How many hours I can be in the sun without reapplying the sunscreen. And then when we will eat lunch. And then how many hours I will be in the pool before I have to reapply the sunscreen again. Blah. Blah. Blah. Sounds enticing doesn't it? Um, No.

You see, me and control are best friends. We hold hands happily skipping down the street.

I can't let go of the urge to control every second of my life, let alone every one else's. Thank God, I have found a program to deal with that.

Anyway... Erin and her boyfriend Jon are off to Thailand on Thursday. They have the gist of their trip planned out, i.e. the places they will go, but not really how they will get there or what they will do when they are there. Erin, I admire your courage. I wish that I could just pick a place and go. I pray that you and Jon will be safe and happy all the way through your journey. I look forward to hearing from you via blogging and emailing. I can't wait to get postcards letting me know how marvelous your expedition has become. I will live vicariously through you, as I'm not sure I would ever have the guts to do what you are about to do. Think of me when you see spiders and beetles the size of my puppy. Try new food, because I'm not sure I would. Enjoy your time with Jon, as you will remember this voyage forever.

I can't wait to see your photos when you return. I am filled with anticipation to hear your stories and I wish you well as you embark on this adventure.

“It is only in adventure that some people succeed in knowing themselves - in finding themselves.”
André Gide

2 comments:

  1. This is a huge leap for me to not be in control of, but I'm trusting that it will all work out. Also, thank God for Jon and his ability to reassure me that it will all work out.

    don't forget...I'll be trying to update as much as possible. Pinpointed map and all...

    http://wanderyonder.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted something similar about my friend Trish (look at number five on my list).

    Thanks for your thoughtful comment today. :-)

    ReplyDelete