Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Prompt Tuesday from sandiegomomma

It's Tuesday... and I'm ready for Prompt Tuesday. No Tardiness for me. Woo!! (Lucky for me I had already done this exercise... )

From sandiegomomma:

"I think this started as a meme. I’ve read several outstanding versions of it over the last year, and I thought I’d like to offer it as a PROMPTuesday, so…

I am.

This week, tell us who you are, what’s inside, where you’re from. Share your memory fragments, those visions in your head, those figments that make you, you. What bits and pieces formed your whole? Are you whole? Tell us."



I am from snowmobiles, from nutty bars and burnt barbecue chicken.

I am from the steep driveway with bobsledding snow-plowed banks, from the smell of wood burning fireplaces and Mama’s French toast.

I am from the aspen trees, the cold reservoir water taking my breath away in early June. From mountain lions and hand built forts in the trees.

I am from advent calendars and cookie crisp cereal with Aunt Katie, from trips to Co-op with Papa.

I am from the always accepting arms of my daddy and the quiet, but always sincere love in the conversations in the Volvo with my beautiful mommy, queen of the world.

From “Make good decisions” and “No, Mama does not need to take you down the hill”.

I am from a subtle reminder that there is something bigger than me, but never a pressure to conform to what the world said it was.

I'm from war-torn Germany and Poland and the green, rolling hills of Ireland, from fried potatoes and chocolate cream pie.

From the spilled boiling hot dog water, the border crossing family vacations of my mother, and the annual hospital visit to see the fearless, but very breakable “little man”.

I am from the stacks of vintage photo albums and love notes scribbled on the inside covers of Aspen High School yearbooks, from the significance of a trail stomped through the woods, connecting me to my well-being.

4 comments:

  1. Oh man I love that.

    You made it so poetic.

    I adore the imagery and the feeling it evoked in me.

    Awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that IS great. I love it. So much history in that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and no, mama doesn not need to drive you down the hill.

    ReplyDelete